my chuck taylors weigh a ton.

we don't go for that flip-in, flip-out gimmicky crap.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

mom and pop... they will fuck you up... for sure.

my folks are in town. i'm lucky, because the folks, they rule. good folks, love to see ya, never get down on ya. good folks.

everybody who has folks probably thinks it's the strangest relationship they've got, and they're probably right. if you want to get really gritty about it, it's like: half of one, half of the other one, and you fell out (or got cut out) of one of them. you've also probably based your life's expectation and road map of theirs, and whether it's at the front of your mind or not, theirs is what you are up against.

sad but true: i can't live up to ol' moms and pops. they did it all with class, grit and style. life isn't what it promised them, but who's is? they are honest and true and they do just slightly more than they should have to, to make this a better world. i shit you not: my dad doesn't break the rule of law. he don't want no trouble. he understands the right way to do things, and he does it that way, the best he can. i can't do that. i don't really give a shit about the letter of the law, just the spirit, and sometimes (many times) i don't even respect that. my folks are like the best neighbors in the world. friendly, helpful, interesting, unobtrusive. me? i'm unobtrusive to a fault. as your neighbor, it'll take me six or seven years just to get your name right. i keep my shit tidy, but i don't want people knocking on my door, either. mom would make you a quiche.

so, tough to live up to, yes. by the time that they were my age, they'd been married fourteen years. that makes my head hurt. i am way, way behind schedule. not really, but damn... some times it can be a little weird. and i'm myself considered a "LTR" type of guy. i deeply suspect that could possibly be the worst part about me: i suck the life out of otherwise promising young women. and it takes a long time, three or four years on average. i've been told that it's painful.

mom says i'm hard on girls. gee, ya think? mom would never be that sarcastic, but she would laugh at it, which only serves to make her that much better. mom and dad appriciate a joke.

so, mom and dad, and and breakfast. wish my sister was here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home